Revera is a leading owner, operator and investor in the senior living sector. We offer seniors’ apartments, independent living, assisted living, memory care and long term care. We understand how to create the best experience for people living in a Revera home. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to live a life of purpose, and we create environments that make that possible.
Our mission is to celebrate the human spirit in every way possible – and that applies to both our residents and our employees. There’s a lot that goes into being a member of our team – and there’s a lot that you’ll get out of the experience too. We go the extra mile to ensure that each member of our staff feels safe, secure, enriched and empowered in their role. So that everyone under our roof is given the opportunity to thrive, grow and make the most of every day.
Vaccines are a proven, safe and powerful weapon in our battle against COVID-19. Now that vaccines are widely available and recognizing that many of our staff are already vaccinated, vaccination will be a condition of employment for new hires, except when impossible due to legitimate, established exceptions. The vaccine must be a two-dose COVID-19 vaccination series approved by Health Canada. This is one more important step to protect both our residents and staff as we continue to battle this deadly virus.
The Infection Prevention and Control Specialist (IPAC Specialist) is responsible for leading and managing the implementation, maintenance, surveillance and evaluation of infection prevention and control practices and education to minimize the risk of infectious diseases and outbreaks within their designated portfolio of Long Term Care home(s). S/he work closely with the regional and national IPAC Lead to build a high-compliance and accountability culture.
- Build a culture of compliance and adherence to IPAC standards & requirements set under the legislation and Revera’s IPAC Policies and Procedures
- Ensure that Health & Safety risks to employees, residents and the general public are minimized or eliminated
- Promote a culture of improvement and support the Home in monitoring and improving infection and prevention control practices and standards
- Cultivate relationships with staff, residents and families, internal and external stakeholders
Infection and Outbreak Prevention & Management
- To participate in the development, assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the Home’s IPAC Program;
- To identify and report infections and/or outbreaks and follow guidelines for reporting communicable diseases to the appropriate government/health authority agencies;
- To monitor, investigate and follow-up infections and outbreaks and identify areas of improvement;
- To work in collaboration with the Director of Care/Director Health & Wellness, complete online outbreak reports where appropriate;
Surveillance & Monitoring
- To implement Revera’s IPAC policies and procedures;
- To participate in quality initiatives, perform and/or coordinate audits on a regular basis to ensure adherence to IPAC standards and recommend improvements;
- To prepare an action plan for gaps identified through surveillance / audit activities;
- To review monthly and quarterly data collection and analysis of performance indicators and provide reports to appropriate stakeholders;
- To ensure surveillance is completed, using the IPAC app, by the nurse/designate on the shift of symptom onset, appropriate interventions implemented;
- To develop and maintain a relationship with the local Public Health/Communicable Disease Department, laboratory representative and IPAC leads at the regional and national level;
- To lead the IPAC team and participate in Joint Health & Safety Committee Meetings at the Home and promote sustainability of the program;
- To attend the regional Quality Team meetings and report the status of the Home’s IPC Program:
- Current infection prevention and control data
- Outbreak reports
- Immunization program
- Support safe visitor practices
- Current /regulatory trends related to infection prevention and control
- Education and training completed and/or needed
- To identify and conduct risk assessment and safety inspections where required as per safe work procedures and standards
- To coordinate and provide ongoing education to staff on the principles and practices of infection prevention and control and new emerging infectious diseases and organisms;
- To monitor and support audit of key IPAC practices; present data to staff, management and the Health and Safety Committee; facilitate corrective action as needed, including direct coaching and management of staff related to compliance gaps;
- To provide education to Residents, volunteers and visitors related to infection control principles;
- To attend external infection control meetings when possible and maintains awareness of current infection prevention and control standards and practices as applicable;
- To support the IPAC app utilization and its workflow through continuous education and training to staff;
- To manage and direct staff on the principles and practices of infection prevention and control and new emerging infectious diseases and organisms;
- To support the Executive Director and or Regional team in conducting employee investigations, recruitment and performance management as required;
- To act as a member of the broader site management team and provide on-call support during evenings and/or weekends;
- To uphold and promote the organization’s values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, morality, and integrity as set out in Revera’s Code of Conduct;
·To complete all other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Credentials and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in either nursing, microbiology, medical technology and epidemiology;
- Minimum of five (5) years of related experience in a healthcare setting such LTC or acute care preferred;
- Current certification in Infection Control (CIC) or must obtain Infection Control certification within 3 years of assuming the position and maintain certification;
- Completion, or current enrollment in an approved IPAC Canada sponsored and endorsed Infection Control Course;
- Demonstrates strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Able to travel as required;
- Fluent in English and French- only Carlingvew; For all other homes, Fluency in English;
- Current CPR certification;
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office applications);
Revera Core Competencies:
- Accountability: Takes ownership and holds self and others accountable to deliver high quality, timely and cost effective results.
- Business Acumen: Understands financial and operational aspects and implications that are essential to achieve superior business results.
- Coaching & Developing Talent: Building capability of self, individuals and teams by engaging in feedback, coaching, learning and development. Building capability of self, individuals and teams by engaging in feedback, coaching, learning and development.
- Customer Focus: Keeping the customer in mind to deliver the highest possible quality of care, service and choices.
- Execution Excellence: Optimizes available resources and pursues implementation to consistently achieve exceptional outcomes.
- Innovative Thinking: Identifies, develops and implements new and innovative solutions to enhance opportunity, efficiency and quality.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Inspires and fosters a team environment and works collaboratively to achieve business goals and objectives.
Revera is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.
Please Note: If you are a current employee of Revera and have Employee Self Service (ESS) on Workday, please apply to this job via the Workday application.