Revera is a leading owner, operator and investor in the senior living sector. We offer seniors’ apartments, independent living, assisted living, memory care and long term care. We understand how to create the best experience for people living in a Revera home. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to live a life of purpose, and we create environments that make that possible.
Our mission is to celebrate the human spirit in every way possible – and that applies to both our residents and our employees. There’s a lot that goes into being a member of our team – and there’s a lot that you’ll get out of the experience too. We go the extra mile to ensure that each member of our staff feels safe, secure, enriched and empowered in their role. So that everyone under our roof is given the opportunity to thrive, grow and make the most of every day.
Vaccines are a proven, safe and powerful weapon in our battle against COVID-19. Now that vaccines are widely available and recognizing that many of our staff are already vaccinated, vaccination will be a condition of employment for new hires, except when impossible due to legitimate, established exceptions. The vaccine must be a two-dose COVID-19 vaccination series approved by Health Canada. This is one more important step to protect both our residents and staff as we continue to battle this deadly virus.
The Sous Chef assists the Director of Culinary Services in managing all aspects of culinary department. The Sous Chef strives to consistently deliver an exceptional dining experience to our residents and guests. He/she is a culinary professional committed to delivering the Revera’s “best in class’ culinary strategy. This includes but is not limited to offering outstanding service, creative, diverse and flexible menus made with high quality fresh ingredients and appetizingly presented to meet and exceed resident expectations.
- Ensure high levels of resident satisfaction specific to Culinary Services (as measured by Resident Satisfaction Surveys and day to day engagement with the residents during meal service)
- Deliver a consistent, branded culinary experience (as measured by the Brand Experience Scorecard)
- Effectively manage and lead kitchen and dining staff to develop and maintain an engaged workforce
- To work in collaboration with the Director of Culinary Services, Executive Director and Regional Manager of Culinary Services to implement the culinary strategic plan in order to achieve high levels of resident satisfaction;
- Under the direction of the Director of Culinary Services, you will be responsible for the smooth operation of the kitchen and daily preparation of meals from pre-determined menus, ensuring the food quality and presentation meets Revera’s culinary standards;
- To assist the Director of Culinary Services with menu generation, recipe ideation, budget control and production schedules;
- To support daily culinary operations with a hands-on approach to leadership, mentoring and filling in as required during meal service times actively in the kitchen and dining room;
- To provide culinary expertise, training and operational support to the culinary team while ensuring residents receive high quality food and services in compliance with culinary standards and company policies;
- To provide guidance, consultation and support to the Director of Culinary Services for the effective development of culinary service employees to ensure high employee engagement;
- To effectively manage food budget by supporting full compliance with Revera’s approved vendors and standardized products, ensuring effective inventory controls, and minimizing food waste/spoilage;
- To exceed operation’s standards in- food quality, service presentation, and health and safety compliance;
- To uphold and promote the organization’s values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, morality, and integrity as set out in Revera’s Code of Conduct;
- To complete all other duties as assigned;
Required Education, Credentials and Experience:
- Red Seal Cook’s Qualification Certificate or equivalent experience required
- Valid Food Safety/Food Handler’s Certification
- Smart Serve Certification
- Minimum three years supervisory experience in a Restaurant, Hotel or Retirement environment
- Minimum five years progressive experience in a variety of dining environments
- Strong service orientation with demonstrated knowledge of all types of formal Dining Room service
- Excellent communication skills; team player skilled with motivating and coaching others
- Proven leadership abilities; approachable and diplomatic decision-making style with experience managing, training, coaching and evaluating a team
- Detail oriented, with good organizational abilities
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and respond with a sense of urgency when required
- Knowledge of applicable government regulations and requirements
- Previous experience working in a unionized environment
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to analyze challenging situations and develop effective solutions through interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent time management and decision-making capabilities with minimal supervision
- Retirement industry experience is considered an asset
Revera Core Competencies:
- Accountability: Takes ownership and holds self and others accountable to deliver high quality, timely and cost-effective results.
- Business Acumen: Understands financial and operational aspects and implications that are essential to achieve superior business results.
- Coaching & Developing Talent: Building capability of self, individuals and teams by engaging in feedback, coaching, learning and development.
- Customer Focus: Keeping the customer in mind to deliver the highest possible quality of care, service and choices.
- Execution Excellence: Optimizes available resources and pursues implementation to consistently achieve exceptional outcomes.
- Innovative Thinking: Identifies, develops and implements new and innovative solutions to enhance opportunity, efficiency and quality.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Inspires and fosters a team environment and works collaboratively to achieve business goals and objectives.
Revera is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.