Revera is a leading owner, operator and investor in the senior living sector. We offer seniors’ apartments, independent living, assisted living, memory care and long term care. We understand how to create the best experience for people living in a Revera home. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to live a life of purpose, and we create environments that make that possible.
Our mission is to celebrate the human spirit in every way possible – and that applies to both our residents and our employees. There’s a lot that goes into being a member of our team – and there’s a lot that you’ll get out of the experience too. We go the extra mile to ensure that each member of our staff feels safe, secure, enriched and empowered in their role. So that everyone under our roof is given the opportunity to thrive, grow and make the most of every day.
Vaccines are a proven, safe and powerful weapon in our battle against COVID-19. Now that vaccines are widely available and recognizing that many of our staff are already vaccinated, vaccination will be a condition of employment for new hires, except when impossible due to legitimate, established exceptions. The vaccine must be a two-dose COVID-19 vaccination series approved by Health Canada. This is one more important step to protect both our residents and staff as we continue to battle this deadly virus.
Reporting to the Director of Care, the Behaviourial Support (BSO) Personal Support Worker (PSW) is responsible for providing planned, person centred goal directed care in accordance with the provincial standards
- Live our values of Respect, Integrity, Compassion and Excellence
- Lend a helping hand
- Cultivate relationships with staff, residents and families
- Lead with H.E.A.R.T. (hear, empathize, acknowledge, respond, thank)
Key RPN Responsibilities:
- To work as a member of the inter professional team as described by Revera’s Professional Practice Model applying the person-centered approach to care;
- To complete and ensure resident’s clinical care assessments, care plans and documentation are accurate, up to date and changes communicated as required;
- To implement and evaluate the effectiveness of the care plans and make changes as required;
- To assist with scheduling of resident’s care conferences and participate in conferences where applicable;
- To work closely with Director of Care to facilitate resident’s move in, move out and transfers;
- To facilitate and provide resident/family education;
- To refer resident to external resources for assessment or possible admission when applicable
- To plan, coordinate, manage & evaluate the resident’s care plan working with the resident/substitute decision maker, physicians, nursing & interdisciplinary team and contracted service providers/external resources
- To coordinate nursing team’s resident care assignments to ensure efficient and timely delivery of services to residents;
- To respond to and manage significant changes in resident’s condition and or medical emergencies; provide emergency first aid;
- To teach, delegate to, and direct unregulated care providers;
- To respond to resident/family concerns and ensure appropriate action taken and or concern communicated to Director of Care/Executive Director and other departments;
- To follow and assist the Director of Care in the coordination, implementation and monitoring of Infection Prevention and Control, Health and Safety and Clinical Programs and Quality/Safety Plans for the Nursing Department;
- To uphold and promote the organization’s values and philosophy relating particularly to ethics, morality, and integrity as set out in Revera’s Code of Conduct;
- To complete all other duties as assigned, including:
- May coordinate nursing team’s resident care assignments to ensure efficient and timely delivery of services to residents;
- May provide direct resident care and medication/ treatment administration and document care in compliance with regulatory and Revera Resident Care standards and policies and procedures;
- May provide direct resident care and medication/ treatment administration and document care in compliance with regulatory and Revera Resident Care standards and policies and procedures
BSO PSW Core Competencies:
Demonstrate knowledge of dementia, delirium, mental health issues in the delivery of care and its effect on the resident and family members or partners in care, and:
- To include knowledge of various conditions and practices related to Behaviour support;
- Disease processes, stages and progression;
- Diagnostic and assessment process;
- Cognitive or neurological symptoms;
- Aware of and introduces interventions that are resident specific using both conventional and non-conventional;
- Communication skills appropriate to the needs of the resident;
- Strategies to promote optimal quality of life;
- Experience of disease from the perspective of the resident, family members or other partners in care;
Delivers person-centered care that recognizes both the uniqueness of each resident and an awareness of one’s own contribution to that relationship, including personal attitudes, values and actions, to include:
- Contributing to the development of the person-centered philosophy of care
- Promoting and preserving the abilities and self-esteem of the resident;
- Promoting resident integration to their environment;
- Using effective communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with the resident, family members or partners in care, and other care providers;
- Utilizes the most current resources related Behaviour Support;
Assessment and Intervention
Conducts an assessment identifying triggers and interventions with respect to the behaviors of resident, including:
- Recognizing that behaviors have meaning; therefore, the etiology of the behaviors must be assessed and accounted for in the caregiving process;
- Assesses the meaning, etiology and inherent risk of behaviors using an objective, systematic and holistic process that takes into account the physical, intellectual, emotional and functional capabilities of the resident, as well as the environmental and social aspects of their surroundings;
- Identifies interventions that are abilities focused, person-centered and age appropriate for responding to behavior and managing associated tasks;
- Focuses on management and prevention of responsive behaviors by relating well, identifying triggers, reviews the social and physical environment and makes changes accordingly focuses on residents’ abilities;
- focus on developing a professional relationship with resident and family knowing their life story and current aspirations;
- Collaborates with the inter professional team to meet the individual needs of the resident;
- Utilized DementiAbility resources specific to resident assessment and needs;
Required Education, Credentials and Experience:
- PSW certificate from recognized college;
- Must possess or in progress to complete: Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA), P.I.E.C.E.S., U-First, Dementiability;
- Experience working in a senior’s environment and with unregulated care providers preferred;
- Education and experience in gerontology, rehabilitation, community/complex/long term care an asset;
- Must possess strong written and oral communication, critical thinking, care coordination, time management and customer focus skills;
- Must have demonstrated sound clinical knowledge;
- Must maintain competencies as per the governing College standards;
- Computer proficiency and experience with Microsoft office applications;
- Current (within 6 months) Vulnerable Position/Sector Screening (VPS).
- Must be fully bilingual in French
Revera Core Competencies:
- Accountability: Takes ownership and holds self and others accountable to deliver high quality, timely and cost-effective results.
- Business Acumen: Understands financial and operational aspects and implications that are essential to achieve superior business results.
- Coaching & Developing Talent: Building capability of self, individuals and teams by engaging in feedback, coaching, learning and development. Building capability of self, individuals and teams by engaging in feedback, coaching, learning and development.
- Customer Focus: Keeping the customer in mind to deliver the highest possible quality of care, service and choices.
- Execution Excellence: Optimizes available resources and pursues implementation to consistently achieve exceptional outcomes.
- Innovative Thinking: Identifies, develops and implements new and innovative solutions to enhance opportunity, efficiency and quality.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Inspires and fosters a team environment and works collaboratively to achieve business goals and objectives.
Revera is committed to ensuring that all employment practices are inclusive. As an organization we are committed to providing and arranging accommodation for candidates upon request.